Twin Falls and the surrounding area is very dry come Spring time and is at risk for grass fires but knowing how to prevent a fire inside of your home is equally as important.
Check for Faulty Wiring
Faulty wiring and outlets are the leading cause for house fires in Twin Falls. Knowing how to properly take care electronics in your home will greatly decrease your chances of ever starting a fire
- Check the electrical cords throughout your home for signs of fraying, and replace all frayed wires.
- Do not pinch or cover electrical cords with items such as rugs.
- Be aware of the capacity of your home’s electrical system. Do not overload your circuits. If you have questions about your home’s electrical system, you may want to consult a licensed electrician.
- Understand the difference between surge protectors and power strips—both allow you to plug in multiple electronic devices, but only the surge protector will help protect these devices from a power spike. Use surge protectors to protect valuable electronic devices, such as computers and televisions.
Be Safe Around Your Fireplace
Having a gas or wood burned fireplace greatly increases the chances of an accidental fire
- Use seasoned wood only. Never burn green or damp wood.
- Never burn cardboard boxes, wrapping paper, trash or trees in your fireplace—these can all spark chimney fires.
- The chimney should be checked annually by a professional. Even if the chimney is not due for cleaning, it is important to check for animal nests or other blockages that could prevent smoke from escaping.
- Never leave a fire in the fireplace unattended. Make sure it is completely out before going to bed or leaving the house. If you leave the room while the fire is burning or the fireplace is still hot, take your small child with you.
Inspect Your Clothes Dryer
Clothes dryers are another major cause of house fires in Twin Falls
- If you are installing your own dryer vent, follow the directions in the manufacturer’s installation instructions, using the recommended duct material. If you are unsure about how to properly install the vent, consider hiring a professional to do the installation.
- Clean out the dryer vent regularly.
- Clean out the lint filter after each load.
- Lint may also collect under and behind your dryer, so do not forget to clean these areas.
These are just some of the ways you can protect your Twin Falls home from a possible fire in the years to come. If you ever do experience fire or smoke damage don’t hesitate to call us here at Elite Restoration. We offer 24-hour emergency response all year long with a 1 hour or less response time, and can help you throughout the entire process of restoring your home back to its original state!